“As you are aware, the players listed below have not received the necessary conflicting event and media rights clearances – or have not applied for release at all – and their participation in the Saudi Golf League event. / LIV Golf is in violation of our tournament rules,” Monahan said in a note.
“The same fate applies to all other players who participate in future Saudi Golf League events in violation of our regulations.”
Players who have resigned from their membership will be removed from the FedEx Cup points list when the RBC Canadian Open scores are released on Sunday.
The 17 golfers listed, including former big winners Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia, will not be allowed to play in PGA Tour tournaments as a non-member through a sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category. , reiterated the memo.
Mickelson, who previously held lifetime PGA Tour eligibility, said Wednesday he has no plans to leave the Tour as he has earned the right to participate as he has “a lifetime membership that he has won and worked hard for.”
Regarding what happens now for the PGA Tour, Monahan added in the statement: “You probably have more questions. What’s next? Can these players come back? Can they possibly play the champions of the PGA TOUR?Trust that we are ready to deal with these issues, and we will approach them the same way we have this whole process: by being transparent and respecting the PGA TOUR rules that you helped establish.
“These players made their choice for their own financial reasons. But they cannot demand the same PGA TOUR membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform that you do. This expectation disrespects you, our fans and to our partners. You have made a different choice, which is to abide by the tournament rules you agreed to when you achieved the dream of earning a PGA TOUR card and, more importantly, competing within the preeminent organization in the world of professional golf.”
What is the LIV Golf Series?
The tour consists of eight events around the world, starting in London on Thursday.
Saudi Arabia’s PIF has pledged to award a total of $250 million in prize money. Each of the first seven events will have a total purse of $25 million, with $20 million split among individual players and the remaining $5 million split among the top three teams at the end of each week.
Ahead of the first event in London, the 12 teams were announced, along with their captains. On Tuesday, the captains selected the rest of their teams in a draft format similar to the NFL and NBA drafts.
Unlike typical golf events, the London event takes place over three days, not four, with a field of 48 players starting with a shotgun start – all at the same time – in the hope of being an event more engaging and action-packed style.
Competing in a traditional move play format, the lowest score will be the winner.
What was LIV Golf’s response?
LIV Golf responded Thursday to the PGA Tour’s decision to suspend players by saying, “Today’s announcement by the PGA Tour is vindictive and deepens the rift between the Tour and its members. It is troubling that the Tour , an organization dedicated to creating opportunities for golfers to play, is the entity keeping golfers from playing.
“It is certainly not the last word on this subject. The era of free agency begins as we are proud to have a full group of players joining us in London and beyond.”